A native of Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Dr. Vishal Sharma is the visionary behind Aura Orthodontics. Growing up, Dr. Sharma was always scholastically adept – he balanced academic pursuits with a love for basketball and community involvement. After attaining his Bachelor of Science degree at the University of British Columbia, he pursued dentistry and an orthodontics specialty at New York University in New York City, where he graduated with Honours and Cum Laude of Omicron Kappa Upsilon.
With a practice history that includes over 400 complex orthodontic cases, Dr. Sharma enjoys building rapport with patients and their families and believes they are partners in reaching their orthodontic goals. As a board-certified orthodontist, he uses his passion to develop new techniques and uses technology in an effort to make patients’ treatments more efficient, more aesthetic and as comfortable as possible. His expertise includes all types of braces, including metal braces and clear braces, as well as Invisalign. He also specializes in dentofacial orthopedics.
Dr. Sharma is an orthodontic faculty member in the Department of Orthodontics at the University of British Columbia where he teaches third and fourth year dental students about new techniques and how to use these techniques to achieve optimal results for patients.
He is multilingual in English, Punjabi, Hindi and Urdu. His philosophy revolves around a total dedication to individualized patient attention and care, which is evident from the initial diagnosis and formulation of a treatment plan to the final visit.
Dr. Sharma is a firm believer in community involvement and takes the time to do outreach in the form of educational articles in the local print media and the sponsorship of various cultural events.
Dr. Sharma lives in the Surrey area. When he is not treating patients or teaching dental students, he can be found volunteering, traveling, hiking, playing basketball, frequenting local beaches and spending time with his family, especially his brothers.
* This ranking is based on Invisalign use data, and is not necessarily indicative of clinical superiority.
- Bachelor of Science, 2004; Vancouver; University of British Columbia
- Doctor of Dental Surgery, 2008; New York, NY; New York University College of Dentistry
- Orthodontic Specialty Certificate, 2010; New York, NY; New York University College of Dentistry
Achievements & Awards
- Member of Omicron Kappa Upsilon Honour Society
- Delta Dental Student Leadership Award
- Honours in Orthodontics
- Alpha Omega Fellowship Research Award
- Provincial Basketball Championship
- Awarded City of Prince Rupert Citizen Medallion
- Presentation on “Expression of Chemokines and Chemokine Receptors During Orthodontic Tooth
- Movement” on May 3, 2010 at the Washington, DC, AAO Annual General Session
- Certified by the Royal College of Dentists of Canada as a Certified Specialist in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics
- Board Eligible for the American Board of Orthodontics
- College of Dental Surgeons of BC
- Royal College of Dentists of Canada