The kids are back at school… does the thought of prepping school lunches day in and day out again feel a little overwhelming? We get it. Especially if your child has braces, coming up with a kid-pleasing variety of braces-friendly lunch food ideas can be daunting. But don’t worry, the Aura Orthodontics team’s got you covered.
Now, unfortunately our certified specialists in orthodontics — Dr. Sharma, Dr. Lin, and Dr. Koo — aren’t going to stop by your house every morning and make your kids’ lunches (we sometimes don’t even have time to pack our own)! However, we do offer you a starting list of 10 easy lunch ideas in this post to help you expand your repertoire.
Foods To Eat With Braces
Before we launch into our suggestions for braces-friendly school lunches, let’s first answer, “What can you eat with braces?” Here’s a quick review of braces-friendly foods so you know what you can work with.
If your child started braces treatment over the summer, heads up that eating with new braces can feel more tender than when your child has had their appliance for a while. When eating with new braces, be gentle on teeth by sticking to soft foods. Think scrambled eggs, oatmeal, soup, mashed potatoes and pasta. Cold soft foods like smoothies, yoghurt and protein shakes are both easy on your mouth and soothe braces pain.
What not to eat with braces? Foods to avoid with braces include what could potentially damage them — anything crunchy, sticky, or hard, or foods you have to bite into like carrots or whole apples. Other than that, there’s surprisingly lots your child can eat while going through braces treatment.
The key to eating with braces? We tell our patients how you eat is super important, whether you’re fueling up at breakfast, digging into new school lunch ideas, or sitting down for dinner. When in doubt, start by cutting foods into bite-sized pieces before eating. Then put these small morsels straight to the back teeth for chewing. You’ll want to chew with your molars and bypass biting or chewing food with the front teeth, where food is more likely to get stuck.
School Lunch Ideas for Healthy (And Tasty!) Eating With Braces
Now that you’ve got guidance on foods to eat and not eat with braces, without further ado here’s a list of 10 school lunch ideas to try that feature braces-friendly foods.
- Soft pita bread with hummus, edamame beans, and diced fresh peaches
- Creamy peanut butter and jelly on soft whole wheat bread, sliced strawberries, and a yogurt cup. Sub peanut butter with other nut butters or sunflower seed butter if you’ve got allergies.
- Turkey and cheese pinwheels with a side of cherry tomatoes and snap pea crisps
- Hard boiled eggs, cherry tomatoes or thinly-sliced cucumbers with dip, and a muffin without nuts
- Strips of marinated, baked tofu, soft-baked potato or sweet potato wedges, and blueberries
- Egg or chicken salad on soft potato bread and a clementine
- Pancakes with almond butter, fresh berries, and a cup of Greek yogurt
- Quinoa or couscous mixed with leftover roasted soft veggies and topped with balsamic dressing; string cheese, and small cubes of cantaloupe
- Bean and cheese quesadilla with guacamole and salsa; banana for a snack
- Pasta salad, grapes, and a soft-baked cookie (again, without nuts)
And What About Braces-Friendly Foods in the Cafeteria?
Ah yes, cafeteria food. You and your braces wearer will be happy to hear that some of your typical foods available at school are okay to eat with braces and won’t damage them. Feel free to try fries, mac & cheese, even pizza (just cut into small pieces and avoid the crust) once in a while. Or go for healthier options like steamed veggies, mashed potatoes, or meatloaf.
Caring For Your Braces With Appliance-Friendly School Lunch Ideas
There you have it, a starting resource for eating with braces… from your dedicated and deeply knowledgeable Surrey, North Delta, and Langley orthodontists! We’ve also got these handy tips for navigating braces treatment like a pro during school.
Need a few more pointers? Whether you want to know more about eating with braces or need expert advice on levelling up your oral hygiene as a braces wearer, Drs. Sharma, Lin, and Koo are happy to provide more guidance on your braces journey.
Give us a shout to stop in at one of our three, bright, high-tech locations. Our friendly, personal staff can help you with your modern metal or clear ceramic braces. We’re also a Fraser Valley *Diamond Invisalign Provider.
*This ranking is based on Invisalign use data, and is not necessarily indicative of clinical superiority.