So your child or teen needs braces and it’s time to weigh the options. One of the most popular choices for orthodontic treatment is Invisalign. Discreet, convenient and effective. What more could you ask for? As a Surrey Invisalign provider, we’ve heard all of the questions. Well parents, while we can’t help with soccer practice or math homework, we’ve decided to make your life a little easier on the orthodontic side of things with this guide to Invisalign.
How Does Invisalign Treatment Work?
Invisalign treatment consists of a series of clear, removable aligners crafted from BPA-free plastic that are custom-made for your child’s teeth. The patient wears the aligners all day and night except to take them out to eat and brush and floss. The teeth slowly shift into place, similar to traditional metal braces but without the wires or brackets. Every two weeks or so, your kid will put in a new set of aligners to incrementally perfect their smile. It’s as simple as that.
The Benefits of Invisalign
At Aura Orthodontics, we’re big fans of Invisalign and if your child or teen is a candidate for the treatment there are a host of benefits to consider:
- Clear and virtually invisible, which leads to higher self-esteem
- Aligners are smooth and comfortable with no poking wires or brackets
- Removable so maintaining oral hygiene is easy
- No food restrictions
- Can treat a host of cases including underbite, overjet, spacing, crowding and crossbite
- Less visits to the orthodontist (though we know you love to see Dr. Sharma!)
- Straightens teeth faster over a period of adjustment time
The Cost of Invisalign
Unfortunately there isn’t a set number we can throw out there regarding the price tag of Invisalign. It varies from person to person and depends on several factors including the complexity of the case and the duration of treatment. The cost is comparable to other braces treatments and Invisalign is covered under some dental insurance policies. At Aura Orthodontics, we work with our patients’ families to file claims correctly and we also offer interest-free financing and flexible payment options.
What You Should Watch For
As with any orthodontic treatment, there are a few things parents will want to keep an eye on to ensure treatment goes smoothly. Here are some things to consider:
- Patients need to wear Invisalign for 20 to 22 hours per day
- A new set of aligners is used every two weeks
- While kids and teens can eat whatever they like when the aligners are not in their mouth, they shouldn’t chew gum or eat with the aligners in
- While patients do receive a few replacement aligners for free, keeping them in a case when not in use is the safest bet
- Have kids brush their aligners and rinse them with lukewarm water every day to keep them clean
Questions for Your Orthodontist About Invisalign Treatment
When weighting the options for your child’s orthodontic treatment, don’t be afraid to ask questions! An experienced, dedicated orthodontist won’t mind being grilled and you can come to an informed decision. Here are some sample questions parents should ask their kid’s orthodontist concerning Invisalign?
- Are you trained in Invisalign treatment?
- How long have you been offering the treatment?
- Do you have any before and after photos of other Invisalign patients?
- What issues will be addressed with treatment?
- Why do you think Invisalign will be effective?
- How often will my child need to visit the clinic?
- How long will treatment last?
- How much will Invisalign cost and what factors influence this cost?
- Do you accept dental insurance?
- Are there any additional fees?
- Is follow-up care required (retainers, etc.)?
Put your child or teen on the path to a gorgeous smile today by contacting Aura Orthodontics for a free consultation at our Abbotsford or Surrey orthodontic clinic. We can determine whether they’re a good candidate for Invisalign. We’ll examine their mouth, answer any and all of your questions and map out the treatment plan that works best for your family.