As an Abbotsford and Surrey, BC orthodontist who offers treatments for kids, teens and adults, Dr. Sharma and his team at Aura Orthodontics spend a lot of time with local moms and dads. We know how busy their schedules are with a family, work, orthodontic appointments and life in general. So, we thought we’d pitch in and help make things a little easier for parents by creating a compilation of resources for moms in Surrey and Abbotsford (and dads too!).
Sports for Kids in Surrey, BC
1. I AM Game – The City of Surrey initiative, I AM Game, offers sports programs for participants of all ages and abilities. Its mission is to encourage a lifelong enjoyment of sports and physical activity and to build confidence, self-esteem, physical literacy and social skills in a fun environment. Register for a program or take advantage of I AM Game gym drop-in fun at select recreation centres.
2. Adapted Sports – There are a variety of adapted sports programs sponsored by the City of Surrey so kids, teens and adults with disabilities can stay active. Kids under 12 can partake in skating, swimming, hip hop dancing, art, cooking, drama classes and more. The choices for teens, from 13- to 18-years-old, include skating, swimming, social recreation programs, social skills through drama, hip-hop dancing and day camps. To sign-up, visit a City of Surrey Recreation Facility, call (604) 501-5100 or register online.
3. Splitz Gymnastics Gym – With locations in both Abbotsford and Cloverhttps://www.surrey.ca/culture-recreation/15747.aspxdale, Splitz Gymnastics Gym offers a clean, safe and exciting facility for kids to experience physical success. They provide a curriculum based gymnastics program that gives children tools to reach their full potential.
4. Youth Minor Sport Associations – We did a comprehensive post about youth sports in Surrey a little while back covering the specifics. Check it out to get information on Surrey youth baseball and softball, youth hockey, youth basketball leagues, youth soccer and youth football. There are teams with varying levels of competitiveness for a wide range of ages including:
Baseball and Softball:
- Cloverdale Minor Fastpitch Association
- Fleetwood Fastpitch Association
- South Surrey White Rock Minor Softball Association
- White Rock South Surrey Baseball Association
- Surrey Storm Fastpitch Association
- North Surrey Minor Fastpitch
- Surrey Canadian Baseball Association
- Newton Canadian Baseball Association
- Whalley Little League
- Whalley Jr. Chiefs
- Surrey Minor Hockey Association
- Surrey Female Hockey Association
- Surrey Rec Hockey Leagues: Powerplay Hockey Leagues and Girls Hockey
- Semiahmoo Minor Hockey
- Cloverdale Minor Hockey Association
- Surrey Eagles Junior Hockey League
- Guildford Athletic Club
- Coastal FC
- Central City Breakers Football Club
- Surrey Football Club
- Surrey United Soccer Club
Canadian and American Football:
- Surrey Knights Swim Club
- South Surrey Swim Club
- Dynamo Swim Club
- Cloverdale Tritons Swim Club
- Pacific Sea Wolves Swim Club
- Surrey Sea Lions Swim Club
Sports for Kids in Abbotsford, BC
1. Abbotsford Recreation Programs – Abbotsford does an awesome job with sports and activities for kids through its recreation programs. The choices range from family-oriented physical fitness classes to sports like soccer, basketball and swimming. They even have Kids Gym for ages six to 12 years where children can engage in supervised gym activities at the Abbotsford Recreation Centre with daily programs for only $5.
2. Camps, Club Teams and Rec Leagues – Whether your child is just starting out and ready to develop basic skills or they’re an avid athlete looking for a competitive team, Abbotsford has a host of opportunities and leagues including:
Baseball and Softball:
Canadian Football, Flag Football and Rugby:
- Abbotsford Whalers Swim Club
- Langley & Abbotsford Olympians Swim Club
Kids’ Programs in Surrey, BC
1. Family Storytime – Guildford Library, 15105 105 Avenue – On Thursdays, from 10:30 to 11 am, children of all ages and their caregivers can swing by the library for this free event that features stories, songs and play.
2. Nature Play – Surrey Nature Centre at Green Timbers, 14225 Green Timbers Way – On Saturday mornings, kids ages three to five and their caregivers can visit the Nature Centre for a free drop-in program from 9:30 to 11 am. Kids will engage in outdoor play with nature exploration and arts, storytelling, free play, and games.
3. Family Sundays at the Surrey Art Gallery – 13750 88 Avenue – On select Sundays, the Surrey Art Gallery has a free drop-in program that allows families to explore, create and enjoy art together. There are hands-on art-making workshops in different mediums, art exploration activities, artist demonstrations and interactive live performances. Don’t want to wait for the next event? Throughout the year, visual arts classes, camps and workshops for children and teens are available to help them tap into their creative side.
Kids’ Programs in Abbotsford, BC
1. Wacky Wednesday Storytime – Abbotsford Community Library, 33355 Bevan Avenue – On Wednesdays from 10:30 to 11 am, children of all ages and their caregivers can visit the Abbotsford Community Library for stories, singing, crafts and laughter.
2. Open Playtime – Abbotsford Recreation Centre – 2499 McMillan Road –The Abbotsford Recreation Centre hosts open gym playtime for little ones, ages newborn through five, and their parents. Tots can burn off energy and socialize during the interactive program. Check out the schedule here.
3. Sunday Family Arts –The Reach Gallery Museum, 32388 Veterans Way –Delve into the arts at The Reach on select Sundays from 1 to 2:30 pm or 3 to 4:30 pm during their family art classes for all ages. The events are free but pre-registration is required. Attendees make arts and crafts projects, usually based on the current exhibitions or other timely themes. Take a look at the schedule to find the next session.
Services for Kids in Surrey, BC
1. The Centre for Child Development – 9460 140 Street – The Centre for Child Development offers a host of services and programs for families and kids with our without disabilities in BC, including communication therapy, inclusive child care and psychology.
2. Options Community Services – 9815 140 Street – This non-profit offers social services primarily in Surrey, Delta, White Rock and Langley. They have a wide variety of helpful programs for children, teens and families including those geared towards skill development and overcoming barriers to independence in kids, services for children with special needs, Growing Together Daycare, which gives young mothers an option for quality childcare, and much more.
3. The Children’s Foundation – 13737 96 Avenue, 10th Floor (City Centre 1 Building across from Surrey Memorial Hospital) – The Children’s Foundation is a charitable, non-profit society that helps vulnerable children and their families with locations in Surrey and Vancouver. They offer a full range of services including helping kids overcome trauma and mental health issues and programs aimed at building confidence and relationships, developing skills and promoting success in school for young and school-aged children, as well as providing assistance to caregivers and kids in need.
Services for Kids in Abbotsford, BC
1. Abbotsford Community Services – 2420 Montrose Avenue –This non-profit, community-based social service agency helps people of all ages from newborns to seniors and is one of the best resources for moms in Abbotsford. Their offerings cover everything including child care referrals, health services for teens and family and parent education. With over 80 programs and services, it’s a wonderful community organization.
2. Fraser Valley Child Development Centre – 32885 Venture Avenue #102 – FVCDC is a leader in child development services to enhance the quality of life for children with developmental needs. Their free services are inclusive, accessible and community-based for those birth through age 18 and their families and include physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech and language therapy and more.
3. Cares – 2630 Bourquin Crescent (West), Unit #3 – Cares is a non-profit counseling agency with certified, professionally trained therapists offering a range of affordable counseling services for kids, individuals, couples, and families. Those who qualify can receive services at subsidized rates making it even more accessible to everyone in the community.
Daycares in Surrey, BC
1. Tong Louie Family YMCA – 14988 57 Avenue – The Tong Louie Family YMCA offers a preschool program and full- and part-time childcare in Surrey from 7 am to 6 pm, Monday through Friday, for children ages three through five-years-old. Little ones will be in good hands while they learn and play in a nurturing environment. For infants and toddlers and before and after school programs, some other locations of the YMCA of Greater Vancouver cater to these age groups.
2. A to Z Childcare Centres – Multiple Locations – With four locations in Surrey, you can’t really beat the convenience of A to Z. They offer licensed care to children ages three months to 12 years in a safe, caring atmosphere with a focus on keeping kids stimulated and engaged.
3. Sea Stars Childcare – 18931 70A Avenue – This licensed infant and toddler care centre for youngsters birth through three-years-old encourage learning through play in a home-like environment. With a small child to educator ratio, babies and toddlers get individualized attention to help reach developmental goals. The daily routine includes art, circle time, sensory activities and outdoor fun.
Daycares in Abbotsford, BC
1. Little Wonders Montessori Childcare & Preschool – Multiple Locations – Little Wonders has multiple locations. They offer licensed infant and toddler care, preschool and before and after school care. The before and after school program even has transportation from several local elementary schools. Qualified teachers lead fun, educational and stimulating activities.
2. Maranatha KidsCare – 3580 Clearbrook Road – Maranatha KidsCare provides full day care from 6:30 am to 6 pm for little ones 2 ½-years-old to five-years-old and promotes learning through phonics, circle time, indoor and outdoor play, music, art and a structured environment. They also have preschool, before and after school and summer programs.
3. Hand in Hand Childcare Society – Multiple Locations – Hand in Hand Childcare Society is a non-profit organization providing affordable preschool and school-aged child care in Abbotsford at a variety of elementary schools where kids engage in different activities, learn, play games and make friends under the guidance of qualified staff members. The centres are open for school-aged care in the morning and afternoon on regular school days and from 7 am to 6 pm on school holidays, professional development days and the months of July and August. The preschools run from September to June.
Moms Groups in Surrey, BC
1. Surrey Active Moms – This Surrey moms group is all about mingling with other moms, getting out of the house and being active with the kids. They plan activities like walks at Green Timbers and attending local storytimes together.
2. Surrey BC Moms Club – This group for Surrey moms on Circle of Moms is an online meeting place where members can post about activities, parenting-related topics or just see if any other moms are free to meet up around town.
3. Langley/Surrey Moms, Toddlers, Babies – This newly formed Langley and Surrey moms club plans to read stories with the little ones, take part in activity stations and crafts, sing songs and go outside when the weather is nice. Join the group online to get updates on their next meet-up or break the ice and schedule a meet-up yourself!
Moms Groups in Abbotsford, BC
1. Moms Enjoying the Little Things – While this group is technically based in Langley, it’s open to moms in Abbotsford, Surrey, Langley, Chilliwack, Coquitlam, Maple Ridge, Aldergrove, White Rock, Mission, Richmond and Burnaby. A lot of the activities involve the kids such as trips to waterparks, the zoo and the beach. However, they also host a monthly Mom’s Night Out for adult-only fun like attending comedy shows and paint nights.
2. Abbotsford Moms – This online community is an Abbotsford moms group where you can have conversations about your kids, ask for recommendations, post about parenting-related topics and even find some deals.
Kid-Friendly Restaurants in the Surrey and Abbotsford Area
1. Kids’ Play Café – 14885 60th Avenue #8, Surrey – While this isn’t your standard restaurant, it’s an awesome place to go for a cup of coffee or tea, baked goods, fresh paninis or sandwiches, homemade soups and pizza, as well as tons of healthy snacks. Parents can enjoy a bite while still being able to watch their kids (under six-years-old) have a blast on the safe, but super fun, play structure. It’s a win-win.
2. The Wooden Spoon Co – 15171 Russell Avenue, White Rock – The Wooden Spoon’s brunch items and comfort foods are scrumptious and made with local ingredients and there are endless kid-friendly options on the menu. There’s also a great kids’ play area in the back.
3. Ann Marie’s Café – 33771 George Ferguson Way, Abbotsford – This kid-friendly restaurant in Abbotsford is a 50’s style diner decked out in memorabilia. They have every child’s dream menu (think chicken fingers, milk shakes, grilled cheese, and pancakes) and the atmosphere is casual and fun.
Best Places to Meet Other Moms in Surrey, BC
1. Fit 4 Two Surrey – Multiple Locations – Whether you’re a mom-to-be or looking for activities to do with a new baby, Fit 4 Two® is a great way to spend quality time with your child, make friends with other Surrey moms and get a good workout. With indoor and outdoor prenatal fitness and stroller bootcamp classes at the South Surrey Recreation Centre (14601 20 Avenue) and stroller fitness, mom and baby AquaFit, prenatal yoga and mom and baby strength and spin at Tong Louie YMCA (14988 57 Avenue), there’s something for every mother.
2. School of Music & Dance – 15326 103A Avenue – The School of Music & Dance has a Surrey location offering parent and tot dance classes for two-year-olds and their moms and dads. The teacher will guide toddlers and their caregivers through exercises to help build coordination, balance and listening skills. If you’re trying to find Surrey mom friends, this is a good opportunity to mingle with other parents while having fun.
3. My Gym – 2429 152nd Street #103 – My Gym has classes for kids in Surrey for youngsters ages six weeks through 8-years-old designed to help children develop physically, cognitively and emotionally. The age-appropriate classes incorporate games, relays, dance, music, gymnastics, sports and more. The programs for babies and toddlers involve parents too so you’ll be interacting with your child as well as with other moms, potentially making friends along the way. The best part? The first class is free!
Best Places to Meet Other Moms in Abbotsford, BC
1. Fit 4 Two Abbotsford –Highstreet Shopping Centre, 3122 Mount Lehman Road – Fit 4 Two® offers programs with a focus on prenatal and postnatal fitness. Many parents feel a little isolated when they bring home a new bundle of joy. Fit 4 Two is an excellent place to interact with other moms, bond with your baby or toddler and get in some exercise. In Abbotsford, the organization has free drop-in stroller fitness classes at the Highstreet Shopping Centre.
2. Music Together Classes – West Coast Health Collective, 33119 S. Fraser Way #103 – Music Together of the Fraser Valley has music classes in Abbotsford for kids birth through five-years-old and their caregivers at the West Coast Health Collective. Currently, for summer 2017, a mixed age, six-week class is being held on Wednesdays from 10 to 10:45 am. Registered teachers lead parents and children through 45 minutes of music and movement experiences. It’s a relaxed environment making it a good opportunity to meet other Abbotsford parents.
3. Abbotsford Playgrounds – Playgrounds rank high among the best ways to meet other moms in Abbotsford (or anywhere for that matter). Plus, the kids will have a ball. Head out on a nice day and let the children run around while you strike up a conversation with your fellow adult park-goers. Check out some of our favorite playgrounds in Abbotsford below for a few ideas.
Playgrounds in Surrey, BC
1. Bear Creek Park – 13820 88 Avenue – Bear Creek Park not only has an enormous regular playground, it’s also home to a free water playground in the summer. When the kids are finished going down the big slides or getting sprayed by water, venture over to the Bear Creek Park Miniature Train and take a ride through the woods, play a round of mini-golf or go for a dip in the outdoor pool.
2. Redwood Park – 17900 20 Avenue – Redwood Park has a wheelchair-accessible playground so everyone can join in the fun and there’s a separate area for the tinier tots to play. The scenery is absolutely breathtaking and if you feel like wandering away from the playground, be sure to check out the huge tree house and the magical fairy houses!
3. West Newtown Community Park – 13008 59 Avenue – The playground at West Newton Community Park is only a few years old and pretty large. With space-themed play structures, swings and climbing webs, kids will stay entertained for hours. However, any mom will appreciate the public restrooms!
Playgrounds in Abbotsford, BC
1. Mill Lake Park – 2310 Emerson Street – If you’re in the market for an Abbotsford playground with a lot of variety, you can’t go wrong with Mill Lake Park. There’s not one but multiple playgrounds. That’s in addition to a water playground and Centennial outdoor pool so kids can cool off after a day of swinging, sliding and climbing.
2. Bateman Park – 34638 Bateman Road – There are fields galore, the huge soccer stadium that’s home to the Abbotsford Mariners and a few other soccer teams, stunning weeping willow trees, trails and a newer playground with a play area for younger kids and a separate one for the five and up crowd. There’s a cool creek and forest spot for some exploring too. There are dog off-leash areas in the park so if your child is frightened of dogs, be sure to keep an eye out.
3. Playground at Highstreet Shopping Centre – 3122 Mount Lehman Road – Kids will love this bright, modern playground which boasts tons of climbing features, huge arches and a separate little structure for kids ages two to five. Parents will love it too because they can get some shopping done in between play breaks.