You may know Dr. Sharma as your favorite Surrey orthodontist and the fearless leader of Aura Orthodontics, but before he ever thought of straightening teeth, he was quite the athlete. Growing up he always balanced his academics with his love for basketball and to this day he still plays sports in his spare time and sponsors youth athletic teams.
Dr. Sharma is a big advocate for kids playing sports and knows first-hand how beneficial the experience can be. Not only is it a great way to stay in shape and get moving, sports encourage teamwork and discipline. Whatever your sport of choice, there’s something for everyone in the Surrey area. To help you find your next team, Aura Orthodontics has compiled a guide to sports for kids in Surrey BC.
Surrey Youth Baseball and Softball Leagues
Surrey and the surrounding area is home to a number of softball and baseball leagues that start with t-ball and offer opportunities to play through high school. Leagues vary by competitiveness. Programs include:
- Cloverdale Minor Softball Association
- Fleetwood Fastpitch Association
- South Surrey White Rock Minor Softball Association
- Surrey Storm Fastpitch
- North Surrey Minor Fastpitch
- White Rock Renegades Girls Fastpitch
- Surrey Canadian Baseball Association
- Newtown Canadian Baseball Association
- Whalley Little League
- White Rock South Surrey Baseball Association
Surrey Youth Basketball Leagues
- The Athelite Basketball League is open to kids ages six through 12 of all skill levels. It’s a three-tiered fun, but competitive youth basketball league in Surrey. Games and practices take place at the Cloverdale Recreation Center, Guildford Recreation Center and South Surrey Recreation Center. The organized games are officiated by referees and all coaches are NCCP certified. In addition to the standard youth league, there are also boys’ and girls’ travel teams for the fall and summer seasons.
The Tong Louie Family YMCA in Surrey sponsors the YMCA/Steve Nash Youth Basketball League for boys and girls in grades two through nine. The volunteer-driven league teaches kids the fundamentals with an emphasis on teamwork and fun. The season runs from October through March.
- There are a ton of kids and teen hockey programs available through the City of Surrey ranging from Tot’s Fun Hockey to Powerplay Hockey, which is a fun, non-competitive league for kids ages six through 15 complete with refs and coaches. For people interested in competitive teams, the Surrey Minor Hockey Association, the Cloverdale Minor Hockey Association, the Semiahmoo Minor Hockey Association, the Surrey Female Hockey Association and the Surrey Eagles Hockey Club also offer organized hockey teams for players ages five and up.
Surrey Youth Soccer
- There are a lot of soccer leagues in Surrey and the surrounding areas. Teams range from those that are non-competitive and fun to some that are highly competitive and more serious. Popular ones include the Guildford Athletic Club, Coastal FC, Central City Breakers, the Surrey Youth Soccer Association and Surrey United Soccer Club. The various leagues play at different fields throughout Surrey and kids of all ages will be able to find a team to participate on.
Surrey Youth Football
- North Surrey Minor Football, White Rock South Surrey Titans Football and Cloverdale Minor Football offer Surrey kids, ages five through 18, the opportunity to play on organized football teams.
- I AM Game is the city of Surrey’s approach to fun and inclusive sport programs designed to help kids develop movement and athletic skills and foster a lifelong love of sports and physical activity. The specialty programs and camps are open throughout the year. Check the City of Surrey Recreation Guide for information on what’s coming up next.
- Children and teens with disabilities can get involved and stay active with a variety of adapted programs in Surrey ranging from adapted skating to swimming. Adapted sports offerings include boccia, power soccer, wheelchair basketball, sledge hockey and wheelchair tennis. Click here for more information.