Are you wondering, “How do I know if I need braces?” Well, you’re not alone. A lot of people believe there will be clear signs that it’s time to hightail it to the orthodontist. Unfortunately, it’s not always that simple or obvious. When our Abbotsford and Surrey Invisalign and braces patients come in for their first consultation, we take x-rays and photos and Dr. Sharma thoroughly examines them. This gives him all of the information he needs to make an expert diagnosis. While getting evaluated by a smile pro is the only way to find out for sure if orthodontic treatment is a necessity, we totally get it, in the meantime, you’d like to at least know if there’s a chance. Well, we’ve got you covered. Take our “Do I Need Invisalign or Braces?” quiz for some smile insight.
- Is there anything you would change about the way your smile looks?
- Are your teeth crowded, crooked, protruding, overlapping or spaced apart?
- Do you have an overbite (top front teeth stick out significantly further than the bottom front teeth) or an underbite (lower front teeth are in front of the upper front teeth)?
- Do your teeth or jaws look out of proportion with your face?
- Is your bite uncomfortable or not coming together properly (e.g., your teeth don’t touch when you close your mouth)?
- Do you have speech problems or difficulty chewing?
- Do your jaws shift or make sounds when you open and close your mouth?
- Do you, or did you, have any bad oral habits (prolonged thumb sucking or finger sucking, grinding or clenching your teeth, tongue thrusting, chewing on pens or pencils, mouth breathing, etc.)?
Do You Need Braces or Invisalign? Tally Your Answers!
If you answered “no” to all of these questions, you might be one of the lucky ones with an aligned bite and straight teeth. While you may not need braces or Invisalign, it’s recommended that people see an orthodontic specialist by age seven to ensure everything is on track. Since you’re taking this quiz, we’re guessing you might be a little older than that but it’s never too late to schedule a consultation!
If you answered “yes” to one question, there’s a chance orthodontic treatment could be beneficial. Make an appointment with an orthodontist to find out if you could use a little smile-perfecting help.
If you answered “yes” to two or more questions, it’s very likely that you need orthodontic treatment to shift your teeth and jaws into place for improved function, oral health and, of course, a stunning smile. Book a consultation with an orthodontist (we know a good one!) to find out what type of treatment will work best for you.