Did you know many people who want straight teeth never go through with treatment because they just don’t like the way braces look? Invisalign is the virtually invisible way to straighten your teeth without braces, using a series of clear, removable aligners to straighten your teeth without metal wires or brackets. Patients wear each set of clear aligners for about two weeks, removing them only to eat, drink, brush, and floss. As you replace each aligner with the next in the series, your teeth will move – little by little, week by week – until they have straightened to the final position Dr. Sharma has prescribed. Visits to Aura Orthodontics are about once every six weeks to ensure that your treatment is progressing as planned.
Total treatment time averages 9-15 months and the average number of aligners worn during treatment is between 18 and 30, but both will vary from case to case.
Although clear aligners are appropriate for many orthodontic problems, they are still biomechanically inferior to conventional braces in many situations. Because it is more difficult for plastic shells to create some of the forces required for complex tooth movements like turning round teeth, making teeth longer, and paralleling roots in extraction cases, most orthodontists still prefer to use brackets and wires for moderate to severe cases.
Here’s some frequently asked questions:
How does Invisalign work?
We will utilize 3D computer imaging technology to demonstrate the complete treatment plan from the initial position to the final desired position. This imaging technology is then used to design an individualized series of custom-made aligners. Patients wear the aligner for about two weeks while their teeth move incrementally. After two weeks, the current aligner is replaced with the next one until the final position is achieved.
What do aligners look like?
Aligners are clear and nearly invisible. Invisalign aligners are custom-made to fit and move your teeth.
Will the treatment be painful?
Each time you change to a new aligner, there may be some temporary discomfort while your teeth adjust to their new position. This is completely normal, and is a good sign that the treatment is working.
Will wearing Invisalign aligners affect my speech?
Some people are affected more than others, but most adjust in a short period of time to the feeling of the aligners and do not have permanent changes in their speech.
How often will I have to wear my aligners?
Invisalign only works while you’re wearing the aligners. It’s recommended that you wear your aligners full-time, day and night, except to eat, brush, and floss your teeth.
How much does Invisalign cost?
Cost is always a concern, and Dr. Sharma can determine the price of treatment. It is typically in the same range as ordinary metal braces, depending on the requirements of your specific case. Rest assured that during a consultation with Dr. Sharma, financial figures are discussed in depth. At Aura Orthodontics, we work together with our patients to ensure payment options are very flexible and affordable for all our patients. We also offer interest free financing and accept cash, cheque, Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Debit.
Invisalign versus Fixed Braces – The Pros
1) With Invisalign, you wear removable and invisible plastic trays as opposed to traditional fixed or metal braces, which are cemented onto your teeth. So, cosmetically, Invisalign offer a clear advantage: many individuals, especially adults, who are self-conscious about getting orthodontic treatment, appreciate this.
2) Since Invisalign trays are removable, it’s easier to keep your teeth clean, as opposed to braces where food is constantly getting caught.
3) It goes without saying that if it’s easier to clean your teeth and gums with Invisalign, your overall gingival health will be better. This translates into gums that are pink, tight and don’t bleed readily. Gingivitis or red, bleeding and swollen gums is a condition that occurs more often in improper maintenance of fixed braces.
4) You can generally eat whatever you like with Invisalign; however, with fixed/metal braces, it’s always best to avoid sticky food.
5) With fixed braces, it’s quite common to end up with areas of decalcification (weakened enamel) and decay in the area where the brace is bonded on to the tooth. The reason for this is that food particles are hard to remove from around the braces, resulting in decay.
6) With Invisalign, a new tray is used by the patient every 2 weeks as compared to fixed braces, where the wires are adjusted every 6 weeks. The significance of this is huge.
Invisalign versus Fixed Braces – The Cons
1) The removable Invisalign Trays need to be worn between 20-22 hours to be effective. This is a big commitment on behalf of the patient.
2) The trays need to be removed and cleaned before and after eating.
3) It’s very possible to lose a tray. This can affect the progression of going to the next tray in the sequence and often results in needing to re-take new impressions and re-making of the trays.
4) It’s difficult to achieve certain tooth movement with Invisalign. For instance, if one tooth is higher in the arch than the others, Invisalign doesn’t readily correct this.
It should definitely be taken into account what the individual orthodontic problem is and what will provide you with the best results possible. Also, ask yourself: Can Invisalign accomplish your goal for the perfect smile? Do I want to wear wire braces? Is the treatment time a factor for me?
Overall, braces are more complicated and Invisalign has more overall pluses, such as: it is comfortable, esthetically pleasing, convenient, less prone to decay, and are better for maintaining good oral hygiene. But, it’s important to note that the success of Invisalign is contingent on the patient’s compliance.
As you can see, the decision to use braces over Invisalign, or vice versa, is based on a variety of factors. What is of the utmost importance is that we use the above criteria and work with Dr. Sharma to choose the treatment that best helps you to accomplish the goal of a healthy and functional bite with beautiful esthetics. For further questions or to visit Aura Orthodontics for your free consultation, please contact our office.